Pay R299 for the Bo-Kaap Cooking Tour experience, including traditional cooking lesson and sit-down meals, valued at R600 (save 50%)
- Save 50% and experience the famous Bo-Kaap Cooking Tour
- Experience traditional Cape Malay culture with passionate Zainie Misbach
- Featured on BBC, Pasela, Top Billing and other local/international shows
- See the local spice store (closes at 13:30)
- Learn about spices
- Brief walking tour of architecture and environment
- Hands-on cooking workshop: discover secrets of mixing masala, making chilli bites, folding samosas, making rotis and making a Cape Malay Curry
- All food served with sambals and cold-drinks
- All food halaal
- Groupon includes mini recipe booklet and spices
- Educational and joyful experience
- Groupon redeemable for 3 months
- Booking essential and subject to availability: 074 130 8124
- Tours run every Saturday for 3 months
- Groupon valid for Saturday Lunch tour, 10:30 to 13:30; OR Saturday Dinner tour, 15:00 to 18:00
- Groupon includes all tour activities and lunch or dinner
- Groupon excludes personal purchases
- Groupon only issued and valid once deal closes
- Redemption only on presentation of individual printed Groupon(s)
- The picture displayed is just a representation
- Terms & Conditions apply
- Meet beforehand at Bo-Kaap Museum
- Option to visit museum 30 minutes before tour at own expense
Munching on a Boerewors roll, referring to everyone from your cat to your parents as bru, and dressing like every day is beach day; are all signs that you’re very much part of South African culture – and you love it. Get a taste of something different and far spicier when you experience Cape Malay culture and cuisine with a Bo-Kaap Cooking Tour for R299.
Spread on the slopes of Signal Hill like a multi-coloured patchwork quilt, Bo-Kaap is as distinctively ‘Cape’ as the spicy scents and aromas that waft downhill from its cobbled streets. With a history as vibrant and rich as the flavours in their food, today’s Groupon provides you with the opportunity to explore the enigmatic culture, architecture and cuisine that belongs to the Cape Malays.
Led by Zainie Misbach – a Bo-Kaap local with strong community ties and a passion for preserving the Cape Malay culture – the guided walking tour is an intricate look into the unique ambiences of Cape Malay cooking culture. Meet beforehand at the Bo-kaap Museum (with the option to experience the museum beforehand at your own leisure) and be taken on a journey through cobbled paths to a local spice shop where Zainie will introduce you to the mysteries of eastern spices. After being advised on what spices to shop for, enjoy a walk through the historic quarter; a special stroll that takes you through all the nooks and crannies, giving you the opportunity to view traditional architecture and better discover the legends and secrets of Cape Malay culture.
Where better to end up than a hands-on cooking workshop? Here guests will discover the secrets of Cape Malay cuisine – namely samosas, chilli bites, rotis and rice and finally, a special lesson on how to cook a mouth-watering Cape Malay Curry which you will then enjoy at a sit-down lunch or dinner. Of course, refreshments and sambals are served to compliment the tasty meal.
For a day out of the ordinary that will stay with you forever – and save you from bland cooking – enjoy this vibrant and diverse opportunity.
Tour Fact: The most outrageous tour to date was reportedly a tour that started in South East Asia and finished one and a half days later in Chile. The tour made use of every available mode of transport and tourists were only allowed a total of five minutes to take in all the sights.