Pay R55 instead of R110 for a ticket to see Dirt at The Baxter Theatre (save 50%)
- Save 50% on a ticket to Dirt
- Starring Standard Bank Silver Ovation Award winner, James Cairns
- Written by award-winning writer, Nick Warren
- Directed by acclaimed director, Jenine Collocott (Weekend Special, High Diving, Willy’s Ark)
- Entertaining night at the theatre
- Ideal as a gift
- Groupon redeemable on 24 and 25 August only
- Groupon only issued and valid once deal closes
- Redemption only on presentation of individual printed Groupon(s)
- The picture displayed is just a representation
- Limited number available
- Terms & Conditions apply
- Show starts at 20:15
- Not recommended for children under 15
- Collect tickets on night of performance at The Baxter’s Groupon table
Failing at being able to read hieroglyphics and the scribbles of cavemen on caveman walls, stories are much better understood when voiced through the lips of a live humanoid. Enjoy a charming and comedic tale with today’s Groupon: a ticket to see Dirt for R55 at The Baxter Theatre.
Acclaimed performer James Cairns, returns in the hilarious comedy Dirt for 12 shows only at the Baxter Golden Arrow Studio from 15 to 27 August. Written by Nick Warren and directed by Jenine Collocott, Dirt has gathered universal praise since it premiered at the National Arts Festival last year, including; “Meester Cairns is in ‘n klas van sy eie” (Die Burger); “a masterclass in solo stagecraft…wry, darkly humorous and sometimes offbeat” (Cape Times); “a riot of a play” (Cue) and “theatrical alchemy” (Cape Argus).
The play tells the story of three friends and a dog named Tom who need to get to a funeral. From the soap-star actor Sam with an ego the size of Everest, to exhausted new father Grant who is terrified of his post-natal wife, to Wayne, whose life has fallen through the cracks but hasn’t realised it yet; Cairns inhabits each comical characters with hilarious effect. Taking no shortcuts, his ability to embody each character is astonishing, right down to the distinct and charming personality of the dog.
Winner of a Standard Bank Silver Ovation Award at the National Arts Festival this year for his production, Sie Weiss Alles, and nominated as the Mail and Guardian’s Top 200 Young South Africans, Cairn’s dazzles audiences with his masterful one-man show technique, switching between multiple, instantly recognisable characters. Skilled to the “t” in the art of performance, his use of minimal props and costumes still has the ability to take the audience on a road trip that’s a rollercoaster of laughter.
Theatrical Fact: It is reported that the inspiration for theatre-seatbelts came during the theatre production, During a lecture on Astrophysics. When a dinosaur hatched out of a marshmallow, audience members were so frightened that they jumped out of their seats, causing a sea of migraines. The seatbelts were installed three days later.